The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M11M and summilux 50 MK II officially launched!

Paul Spinnler

... i have the monochrome 246
and as soon as i reach the level of alen shaller with his 246,
I want to be satisfied: )

streets in mind
A 24mm lens + interesting city goes also a long way for interesting street photography. Ie, NYC, LDN, Tokyo + M mono camera+ 24mm.

It is key to be in the right city to create this engaging type of street photography.

Last edited:

lookbook

A 24mm lens + interesting city goes also a long way for interesting street photography. Ie, NYC, LDN, Tokyo + M mono camera+ 24mm.

It is key to be in the right city to create this engaging type of street photography.
He mainly takes pictures in big cities Paul.
But his way of photographing also works in the countryside, in poor countries, in posed situations and with animals.
With animals, it's mainly birds and dogs. You hardly ever see landscapes.

Alan Schaller Flickr

Paul Spinnler

He mainly takes pictures in big cities Paul.
But his way of photographing also works in the countryside, in poor countries, in posed situations and with animals.
With animals, it's mainly birds and dogs. You hardly ever see landscapes.

Alan Schaller Flickr
He also Post produces the pictures a lot; making contrasts extreme and using masking techniques in editing to carve out contrasting elements

lookbook

He also Post produces the pictures a lot; making contrasts extreme and using masking techniques in editing to carve out contrasting elements
That's right Paul!..
He also often repeats successful situations such as reflections, etc.
Nevertheless - I would have liked to take many of his pictures myself.

Paul Spinnler

The problem with street photography, so to say, is that you need time. A lot of time.

Effectively, if you spend a whole week in Tokyo, London or NYC, every day wake up early and spend the day and the evening in interesting areas which are well frequented, armed with a few batteries, a M mono and a 24mm lens … well you would be surprised how many keepers you will have at the end of the week.

I bet 10 good pics per week are possible.

Remember, what we see on the Flickr stream is just a very very small fraction of what was shot.

Over time you also get better, shooting from the hip, zone focusing, etc.

Add to that post production and chances are you too or everyone for that matter can crank out some great shots.

But to find the time … an M11M with a Summilux 24 (out of production) will give you already perfect quality to work with and print large

Last edited:

algrove

YES, I own the 24 Lux and use it in street environs a lot. Good Series 7 filters hard to come by today.

BTW I see the current M11 ad in an email I just got from Leica says "A legend Reinvented". This ties right in with the Portuguese teaser headline.

Paul Spinnler

I guess you may be a little too excited for this release...
Granted, 8x10 still is better, but in practice, if you don't print enormously large, the question will be if it matters. Tim Parkin already showed 10 years ago that 80 megapixels in a bayer sensor are close to 8x10 for practical purposes and the 60 megapixel monochrome sensor with APO lenses will produce a very high amount of detail allowing for large prints.

Paul Spinnler

Leicarumors posted some impressive specs:

Highest DR ever
256 GB internal memory
Up to 200k ISO

WHAT A BANGER. The ultime B&W camera.

This release might have an ever bigger impact on the M10M price than I thought. Glad I sold the M10M weeks ago!

It is not only a res bump, but also significantly higher DR and all the benefits of the M11 platform.

If indeed it sports 256 GB inbuilt memory you will always have a SD card with you + USB-C charging.

If true, this will be a bigger change than expected.

Last edited:

asnapper

Another camera manufacturer is likely to launch a DSLR with a monochrome sensor on Thursday.

No its not a Pentax 645M, but the K-3 Mark III monochrome

algrove

Leicarumors posted some impressive specs:

Highest DR ever
256 GB internal memory
Up to 200k ISO

WHAT A BANGER. The ultime B&W camera.

This release might have an ever bigger impact on the M10M price than I thought. Glad I sold the M10M weeks ago!

It is not only a res bump, but also significantly higher DR and all the benefits of the M11 platform.

If indeed it sports 256 GB inbuilt memory you will always have a SD card with you + USB-C charging.

If true, this will be a bigger change than expected.
If correct, glad they bumped up the IN=Internal memory size to 256 from 64 in the M11. Price=Yikes. What body part can I sell now?

Paul Spinnler

Very excited about the M11M! I loved the M10M
Agree - the M11 platform was a great evolution with the new battery compartment, usb c, visoflex 2, etc. and now that there is a new high DR Sony sensor in there without Bayer filter means one will get very malleable files like in the IQ4A.

Invitation to slap on a SX24 and go outside …

FOUR TO FIVE MORE DAYS.

Last edited:
I just have an M10M at the moment. With the M11's usb c that you mention, can one tether the camera into an iPad so that it's "hard wired" to use the Fotos app rather than Bluetoothed? (I often use the Fotos app for live view shooting on a tripod to refine focusing accuracy and composition, so such a feature might be useful to me ....albeit perhaps less important now that I have the Visoflex 2, which i think works really well in B&W ...more so than in color ....even with the lower resolution image on the M10M).

Paul Spinnler

I just have an M10M at the moment. With the M11's usb c that you mention, can one tether the camera into an iPad so that it's "hard wired" to use the Fotos app rather than Bluetoothed? (I often use the Fotos app for live view shooting on a tripod to refine focusing accuracy and composition, so such a feature might be useful to me ....albeit perhaps less important now that I have the Visoflex 2, which i think works really well in B&W ...more so than in color ....even with the lower resolution image on the M10M).
I am not sure – I don't use the Fotos app; but actually it would be interesting to see if one can tether to an iPad with C1 mobile. The mini has SIM card compatibility and fits in a jacket.

tcdeveau

Agree - the M11 platform was a great evolution with the new battery compartment, usb c, visoflex 2, etc. and now that there is a new high DR Sony sensor in there without Bayer filter means one will get very malleable files like in the IQ4A.

Invitation to slap on a SX24 and go outside …

FOUR TO FIVE MORE DAYS.
Yeah I really love what they did with the new battery compartment on the M11 platform. Removing the bottom plate every time for batteryand memory card access on the pre-M11 platforms I found to be obnoxious. USB-C and internal storage is an added bonus!

It would definitely complement my IQ4 Achro very well - M11M for the run and gun handheld stuff, IQ4A/Alpa for when I went to slow down :)

Excited about the new 50 as well, love that they decreased the minimum focus distance! If it renders as well as the existing one they’ll have a winner for sure

algrove

I remember seeing something about using the Viso2 on the M10 platform that is different than using it on an M11. Does one see a cropped view of the screen?

Edit-- Looked it up and with the Viso2 on an M10 one gets a 2.4MP image versus on the M11 one gets a 3.7MP image.

To me the big difference between M10 and M11 is the metering. More precise.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Yes, it is a big difference. I have the M11 and just sold the M10M awaiting the M11M.

Not only is the resolution smaller, the image is also smaller and I felt the refresh rate wasn't as smooth.

The SL2 finder is excellent, M11 VF2 is great and M10M was ok. – it was a marked difference, especially as the image size in the finder was reduced, ie almost "tiny" for my taste.

The extended DR will be exciting courtesy of the new sensor. Files will be very easy to sculpt in B&W with C1 and SilverFX.