The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M11M and summilux 50 MK II officially launched!

Paul Spinnler

Looks like the M11M release is imminent, as predicted right after fiscal year end so the release falls into the next cycle.

It will be quite something to have a 60 MPX BW camera with APO lenses in the system.

M10M prices expected to drop.

Excited for the release!

Paul Spinnler

Yes, probably.

M10M will drop to c. EUR4500-5500 I'd assume. I sold mine weeks ago for EUR6500, luckily.

It is amazing to to see the quality we can carry in our pockets. The M10M was a beast, this really should compete with 4x5 or even 8x10 in terms of resolution if paired with the right optics – ie essentially APO35 and APO50...

This and the APO35 may all one needs for B&W!

Essentially:

+ New battery compartment
+ EVF2 compatibility
+ USB-C charging
+ 60 MPX

If they follow the M11 tech platform. Especially the EVF2 compatibility is great as the M10M had only lower rez compatbility.

I’ve shot similar scenes with both 4x5 Acros (drum scanned) and my M10M, and the similar detail at (say) 50” wide prints and similarity of the M10M files to a less digital rendering is remarkable. Clearly the lack of color filter array does something beneficial to the rendering that I genuinely notice. I have a GFX100S, and even when casually flicking through screen images or prints, I can tell which shot was done with the camera that has the color filter array and which doesn’t. If there’s an M11M, I hope the dynamic range in the highlights is also improved. I would test it against my M10M for resolution, for really challenging subjects any extra resolution might well be useful, thinking here landscapes with very fine detail like pine trees on a mountainside across the valley. I don’t have the M lenses, “just”(!) the Voigtlander 35 and 50 APO Lanthars, but they’re magnificent in performance, if not a bit sizeable in length vs their M counterparts so the 35mm one cuts more across the framelines - but accurate composition (and of course focusing) is neatly resolved by the Visoflex 2.

algrove

Been waiting for this ever since the M11 shipped. Since I am now scanning my M6 films with the M11 the addition of an M11M will be even better for me.

algrove

Yes, probably.

M10M will drop to c. EUR4500-5500 I'd assume. I sold mine weeks ago for EUR6500, luckily.

It is amazing to to see the quality we can carry in our pockets. The M10M was a beast, this really should compete with 4x5 or even 8x10 in terms of resolution if paired with the right optics – ie essentially APO35 and APO50...

This and the APO35 may all one needs for B&W!

Essentially:

+ New battery compartment
+ EVF2 compatibility
+ USB-C charging
+ 60 MPX

If they follow the M11 tech platform. Especially the EVF2 compatibility is great as the M10M had only lower rez compatbility.
Plus the Viso2 for the M11 has built-in IBIS.

algrove

How true. Kept my M10R's until satisfied and familiar with the M11, then sold them and got my second M11 over a year ago now.

algrove

Just wondering about the significance of that Portuguese teaser. Why Portugal? Is this new camera to be made top to bottom in Portugal. If so it might be a new Q. Can't believe the M11M will be entirely made in Portugal even if it might be born there and then finalized in Wetzlar.

Paul Spinnler

Just wondering about the significance of that Portuguese teaser. Why Portugal? Is this new camera to be made top to bottom in Portugal. If so it might be a new Q. Can't believe the M11M will be entirely made in Portugal even if it might be born there and then finalized in Wetzlar.
The leak is just a teaser flyer distributed by a Portuguese manager of Leica to his network which landed on the rumour site. There are probably a lot more matketing materials also in other languages. The M of course was and will be produced in Germany ...

algrove

Paul
You seem certain the M11M will be announced next week. I hope you are right, but could it also be a new Q3?

Paul Spinnler

Paul
You seem certain the M11M will be announced next week. I hope you are right, but could it also be a new Q3?
Yes could be, but I was told by Leica people that the M11M will come before Summer ... so given the poster is B&W it looks like it could come now. We will have to see