The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

MartinN

After a three year break from C-41, I did a roll of Portra 400 today, using the room temperature technique. Scanned RAW with Nikon 9000, and ColorPerfect (in PhotoLine, not PS) used to invert. All had a bit of extra purple that had to be adjusted with temperature and tint. But it was quite easy, and takes longer. Perhaps the next roll should be done at 102ºF so I can compare the colour casts.
My findings were that C-41 was usable at room temperature (Rollei Digibase) until the chemicals go oxidized, sooner or later.
Scanning can compensate for color casts.
I thougt I could do Tetetenal E-6 using same principles. But I could not get decent results from E-6.
In C-41 there is not so much something as color cast ;)

chrism

I'll do another Portra 400 at the usual temp and compare. The crossover type cast could not be fixed in all frames, skin tones were a bit yellowish and greenery was originally purple and after adjustment got as far as brown, but never actually green. This isn't good enough to tolerate all the time. I knew there was a good reason why I've stuck to B&W for the last three years!

Underbody inspection:

Pen-FV, 42/1.2, Rollei Retro 80S, Diafine

MartinN

Fuji Superia 200, Pentax MZ-5, Professional C-41

Color casts ? For sure, too warm, too magenta, whatever. First neutralization in VueScan, second color temp in Lightroom.
Crossover ? Doubt I would have the eye to detect.

chrism

I've just reminded myself this isn't my first try at room temp C-41 at all - in 2016 I did a roll of Superia 400 by diluting the CD 1+5, agitating for 30 seconds every ten minutes for 50 minutes total. I got real greens that time:

dave.gt

Hi, Chris,

Looks like you’ve been busy! Great images as usual! Impressive!

Here, I have been busy with family tragedies and there has been little time or energy left for anything. However, I managed to replace the seals in my Nikon FM2n, FE2, snd both of my Nikkormats. All in anticipation of returning to medium format film images.

I decided to use the 35 mm expired BW film in the freezer first with DD-X. That is working out ok. Next up is using Rodinal semi-stand development.

After I feel comfortable with the smaller format developing, I will move to 120 developing with Rodinal.

Shooting and developing the expired film has given me more confidence partly because I am putting more time and energy into film like never before but also because to me it is more of a craft and I need that complete immersion in creativity. I cannot yet go back to a craft I truly love, watercolor painting, but eventually, I am hoping to do that.

So, BW film gives me that other world I can visit and spend a bit of time. Good for the soul..:)

I will try to post as often as I can. It isn’t easy to do anything on a regular basis anymore.

Here are a couple of Acros images developed in DD-X. Expired film has surprised me!

Nikon FM2n
Series E 50/2.8:
AC3C6916-CD10-4960-A4FB-C981A79E6601.jpeg

E7DA0C8D-1B29-4DCF-8D40-A2FB66325799.jpeg

chrism

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, Dave. Sometimes it is therapeutic to immerse yourself in something and take a break from processing, mentally, what has happened.

Aspen & birch

F6, 28/1.4, Portra 400, room temp process.

dave.gt

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, Dave. Sometimes it is therapeutic to immerse yourself in something and take a break from processing, mentally, what has happened.

Aspen & birch

F6, 28/1.4, Portra 400, room temp process.
Thanks, Chris!

beautiful trees. Relaxing…:):)

So far I am enjoying the little time I have put into ramping up on my film developing. Your work and posts are a large part of my inspiration!

I might even get around to trying Diafine! There is magic in your photographs.

And of course, others posting here are inspiring me more each day. I am grateful for everyone’s work and I hope to contribute somehow in return.:)

MartinN

Room temp C-41 again.
Someone suggested I heat the chemicals in the microwave and process at 39º. This would be very quick compared to a water bath. How come I didn't think of that?
Sounds scary, what if heating too much ? The sous-vide heater was suggested, nothing happening too fast, so you can follow it using a normal thermometer.

Godfrey

First resident has moved into the new house:

Room temp C-41 again.
Someone suggested I heat the chemicals in the microwave and process at 39º. This would be very quick compared to a water bath. How come I didn't think of that?
Great idea! Monitoring the temperature rise should be doable with a microwave-safe oven thermometer, you can find one of those on Amazon or other for $20 or so.

Beyond that, I love the photo! I have a similar one of the Fulvia, albeit an iPhone capture rather than film...

Fulvia Covered #2
iPhone 11 Pro - Lightroom Classic

I bought these stretchy dust covers for both the Fulvia and the SLK280 to keep the feral cats that live in our garage area from sleeping on the paint and messing it up with their excreta...
Every so often, I wash the covers and toss an orange peel into the dryer with them. The cats hate the scent of citrus fruit and won't stay on the cover then. ;)

G

chrism

Sounds scary, what if heating too much ? The sous-vide heater was suggested, nothing happening too fast, so you can follow it using a normal thermometer.
I think if just do a few seconds at a time and stick a thermometer in the solution after each blast it should be safe enough.

chrism

Great idea! Monitoring the temperature rise should be doable with a microwave-safe oven thermometer, you can find one of those on Amazon or other for $20 or so.

Beyond that, I love the photo! I have a similar one of the Fulvia, albeit an iPhone capture rather than film...

Fulvia Covered #2
iPhone 11 Pro - Lightroom Classic

G
Your Fulvia has a better tailor than my Miata!