The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

chrism

I can't quite explain it. I spend years trying to develop film with as little grain as possible. I have a freezer full of MF and LF film. I don't have to be doing this. And yet, here I am, reveling in half-frame tiny negatives of questionable quality and taken with little or no regard to expense. It's a bit like being Pecker in the little-known John Waters' movie with his stolen film and obsessional picture taking.

I just can't quite help myself. Probably something bad has happened neurologically, but until someone fixes it I shall enjoy it.

MartinN

First roll of bulk Kentmere 400 in the Pen F:
Can you get any Rollei film stock ? I have not decided yet, but I will probably try Rollei Ortho 25 and RPX 25 in 35mm. Should be pretty smooth if contrast can be handled. I have Rollei Ortho 25 in 120 and Agfa Copex Rapid. In sheet film I have Rollei ATO and Wephota FO 5, both essentially lithfilms. Overly smooth and contrasty, but so resolving. Tried SLIMT processing, but plain compensating dev was better.

Having 330lp/mm should be nice to play with in 35mm, but no bulk available.

Wrong, no Ortho bulk but RPX25 can be had as bulk.

Last edited:

chrism

I've Rollei Retro 80S in bulk, and it's pretty smooth. So is Pan F and XP2.
But I'm torn between wanting smooth slow films to minimise the effects of the tiny negative, and wanting faster films just because it's that kind of a camera and a lot of its lenses are f3.5 and f4. I can well see myself using the 48/1.2 and 60/1.5 most of all though, as they are the most interesting lenses. Restricting DoF isn't so easy with all these short focal lengths. I was quite surprised at how well the Kentmere came out, really quite good for the price, but certainly needed more spotting than HP5+ would.

MartinN

I've Rollei Retro 80S in bulk, and it's pretty smooth.
That’s a fun film in summer. The (pseudo) ir response is very unique and worth exploring in the summer.

I shot expired chrome handheld a lot this summer and used EI of 32 and 25. That was then. Now in October onward, I switched to digital, to be able to up the ISO 200, but November and December are no good months for handheld photography in existing light.

chrism

Here's a smoother example of Kentmere 400 in the Pen F. This thick stem of honeysuckle has been growing at our house in NS for 35 years. It came from a cutting that my mother had grown elsewhere in NS, and also at several homes in the UK. Curiously, it was an illicit cutting stolen at a garden party at Buckingham Palace in the 1930's when one of my forebears had done something civic-minded and was rewarded with an invitation. It still flowers each year and we will be sure to take cuttings to the new house.

chrism

I used your Universal Developer Regime today, Godfrey. HC-110, 1+47, 8 minutes, 20ºC. I rarely dip into the supply of Neopan 400, but like to get it right when I do.

Godfrey

The Kodak Retina IIc that i acquired back in Summer has returned from its full CLA service at Advanced Camera in Portland. They did a wonderful job, it's like a new camera! So I had to go out for a walk with it ... actually, a few walks! Finally got through a 36 shot roll of XP2 Super.

Ginko Leaves - Santa Clara 2021
Kodak Retina IIc
Ilford XP2 Super in HC-110 1:61

Looking at the entire roll of photos, the Schneider 50mm f/2.8 lens on this camera seems every bit as good as the f/2 version on the Retina IIIc, or even my Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2! The Retina IIc is handy, protects its lens when folded for carrying, and is a joy to shoot with. Truly a delightful camera.

Enjoy!
G​