The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with M11 Monochrom

algrove

First test. Exposure set to EV -2/3 to see how the camera reacts. I am not sure if necessary since meter so good. Of course brought up shadows and H/L and contrast down very little. OOC images look better than most Monochrom images I remember from M1M, M246 and M10M. 35/1.4 FLE II.
Old dead tree-what is left of it. Focused middle left on rough area to left of dark recess where branch used to be. f 1.4 on close focus at around 0.5 M.

B1000003.jpg

Last edited:

vonalpen

Great tonality!
Have you been using any filters for those images?
When shooting outdoors / in bright sunlight, I often put a yellow or an orange filter in front of the lens.
Only for special occasions / dramatic looks I might use a red filter....

algrove

I often use red, but here it is without any filtration so as to see how it handles various lighting conditions. So far liking it.

lookbook

... i think the photos are really very beautiful.
but i maintain that they would be indistinguishable in the size shown from one taken with the 246.
or is that a provocation?
: )

vonalpen

To me, that is no provocation at all!
I also used to own the Leica Monochrom Typ 246 and loved working with it, the files and prints (!) certainly look great even today.
In fact you are making an important point here: We could convert color images to black and white conveniently in software and show them in a reduced size for the web, like here.
I doubt one would be able to distinguish the origin.
But I really think to work with a Monochrom camera changes the way one looks and photographs.

In the old analogue times I thought I could shoot with two cameras simultaneously, one with color film and the other with black and white.
But I soon realized that it didn't work out.

algrove

But I really think to work with a Monochrom camera changes the way one looks and photographs.
Yes, this is the essence of using a Monochrom and what it does to me.

Taking this thought a step further, with the M11M if one wants, you will never see colors through the camera again if using the EVF since everything is now in B&W without resorting to using jpeg images to get a B&W EVF view. Sure some might not like EVF's and I understand that, but this is a new Monochrom for sure.

All too often individuals look at online jpegs and make assumptions about cameras/lenses/etc. That is a mistake in most cases. I haven't even started to use my APO 35 and 50 on this camera yet which most would agree will yield the best results in general terms.

Also remember one sees images through the filters in place on the website you use. If one takes images into their own desktop, then images details can become more evident. This site is not bad, but LUF heavily filters posted images.

Last edited:

zrz

Thanks for your shots!

I am interested in getting an m10m and not knowing if the view is b&w or not from evf? is m11m has this feature?

best

pegelli

Thanks for your shots!

I am interested in getting an m10m and not knowing if the view is b&w or not from evf? is m11m has this feature?

best
EVF of the M246m, M10m and M11m are all B&W. There is no Bayer filter on the sensor so there's no way that "electronically" a colour image can be produced in the EVF.
The OVF of all Leica monochrom cameras is full colour of course.

hotshoe

Great stuff Lou!! Love the contrast. Miss my M10M. Will def get my hands on one of these once readily available. Thanks for sharing!!

rayt

Images I have seen so far on the web from the M11M look different than what I get from my M10M. But it is hard to judge based on how other people handle their post processing. I can’t really tell unless I shoot with one myself.

fmueller

... i think the photos are really very beautiful.
but i maintain that they would be indistinguishable in the size shown from one taken with the 246.
or is that a provocation?
: )
Probably not a provocation.

I am moving from M10M to M11M, not for image improvement which will likely be indistinguishable from M10M but for things like better battery life, commonality with M11, better EVF, electronic shutter (ND's no longer routinely needed), superior Leica Fotos integration). There is no need for any of this, heck, there isn't even a need for a monochrome camera or a Leica... but its a choice.

I never owned a 246 but I can't believe you are in the least bit handicapped in the world of monochrome imaging.

Last edited: