The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Ugh. Got up at 4am. Did I take advantage of the opportunity to go set up somewhere nice for the sunrise? No, of course not. I read "Komi Can't Communicate" instead. Eventually I made the supreme effort to ... Lecia S3, S70/2.5, 2 seconds @ f/5.6

Matt (Pictures of Soup under Behind the Scenes...)

P. Chong

Impromptu portraits of two gentlemen operating a chapatti stall. Chapatti is an unleaven flat bread originating from India. The bread is eaten with a curry, and here in this very traditional eating stall, with mutton keema. The first gentleman takes orders, and collects payment.

chapati-man.jpg

And the second is focused on making the bread.

chapati-maker.jpg

Fujifilm GFX 50S II with GF 80/1.7, shot handheld as I was waiting to be served my chapatti and keema. Acros film simulation in ACR.

P. Chong

Maybe one for the cycling enthusiast. I had the opportunity photograph the great Italian cyclist Giovanni Battaglin, who was in town to promote his hand built steel bikes. Giovanni was only one of three riders to have ever won the Vuelta-Giro double in a single calendar year (1981). Before him, the legendary Eddy Merckx did this in 1970. And since, only Alberto Contador has claimed the Vuelta-Giro double in 2008.

Fujifilm GFX 50S II with GF50.

giovanni-battaglin-evp+power.jpg

Last edited:

Makten

Not sure I like this, but it might be interesting to other GFX users. This was shot with a Schneider-Kreuznach 28/2.8 PC-Super-Angulon (same lens as the Leica R, but in C/Y mount) at f/13 and ~5 mm of rise. It's borderline OK with respect to the image circle (very slight crop at the sides and bottom) and I generally like the rendering, which is detailed but with a sort of soft veil from flare.
The main problem with the lens is the cyan cast towards the borders and corners and quite some lateral CA. You can fix this in PP, but it's a pain in the butt if you want to use shift. Therefore, I mainly use it for monochrome images, where I also prefer the slightly softer rendering compared to the GF lenses (I have the GF 30 too).
In this particular image I've added vignetting (0.2 stop), but if shooting at larger apertures than ~f/8, you might want to correct in the other direction.

_DSF1208_2048.jpg

sj2w1

Today wasn't so fun, the camera took a dive off a boulder. The bright side everything still works with only cosmetic damage to the body and lens. I haven't dropped a camera since 2005, I lost a Canon EOS Rebel film body when I dropped it above a waterfall along the Turnagain Arm outside Anchorage. It's still there at the bottom of the falls. I can still see it falling hitting a rock, the film door opening up, the roll flying out the back and into the stream then over the top she went. Thankfully I didn't lose this one as this time I couldn't replace it. I took this image about 30mins before it all went wrong today.
Breakneck Falls 16 Dec 21.jpg

H4D-50, HCD 28 - F/16, 28s.

Last edited:

dave.gt

Today wasn't so fun, the camera took a dive off a boulder. The bright side everything still works with only cosmetic damage to the body and lens. I haven't dropped a camera since 2005, I lost a Canon EOS Rebel film body when I dropped it above a waterfall along the Turnagain Arm outside Anchorage. It's still there at the bottom of the falls. I can still see it falling hitting a rock, the film door opening up, the roll flying out the back and into the stream then over the top she went. Thankfully I didn't lose this one as this time I couldn't replace it. I took this image about 30mins before it all went wrong today.
View attachment 190207

H4D-50, HCD 28 - F/16, 28s.
Oooh… this is sweet!!!:):);)
A 28 lens would really be nice… hmmm.
Great work on this image! Thanks for sharing.:)

Btw, sorry about the dropped Canon. Nightmares make us all a bit more cautious and give us great stories to share with others.

P. Chong

Continuing on the bicycle theme, I visited this cafe situated right beside the runway tarmac (land side) of Seletar Airport, the only commercial airport for private aircraft on our island. Seok Seng 1954 is established as a bicycle themed cafe, as the owner Ah Joo is a reknowned bicycle collector. I show him in front of the bar and service counter here. Photographed with Fujifilm GFX 50S II and GF 23.

Seletar_seokseng-ahjoo.jpg

More pictures of the cafe can be found here.

sj2w1

Oooh… this is sweet!!!:):);)
A 28 lens would really be nice… hmmm.
Great work on this image! Thanks for sharing.:)

Btw, sorry about the dropped Canon. Nightmares make us all a bit more cautious and give us great stories to share with others.
Thanks Dave.

Makten

Practicing with the standard lens; Fuji GF 63/2.8 on GFX 50S II. Most of the time I find standard lenses a tad too narrow, which makes me having to work harder with composition. Which is probably good.
As usual I didn't bother with the tripod when there was sufficient light for hand-holding. ISO 400, f/4 and 1/60 was plenty enough with the camera steadily at waist level with the screen flipped out. I could have stopped down more but I wanted some "pop".
I then used the "film standard" profile in C1 instead of the Fuji profiles, because it gives deeper reds and a bit less pastel like tones. Finally a tiny bit of dodging on the fallen birch branches, and burning of the left side that was too bright for overall compositional balance.

_DSF1257_2048.jpg

dave.gt

As 2021 winds down, I decided to make one more post on this thread as it tells a story.

My Billingham bag carries the Leica S everywhere we go. I also carry my old Leica X1 in the side pocket for scouting, auxiliary shooting when I think it would add something to my story, and as back up when I forget to charge batteries for the S. It happens!

In July, we celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary. I spent six long months preparing the patio, yard, fencing and landscaping for that event despite a bad back and difficulty walking. The hot Sun was extremely harsh to my skin. It is still healing somewhat. My body will take longer.

After it was all finished, I made this image of my work shoes, taped and glued, and missing bits and pieces, at the end of my work one evening. I used the X1 because I dare not work with the S with dirty, sweaty hands!!! Besides it wouldn’t fit in my pocket.

“The Work is Done”
Leica X1:
640DAF12-AA1A-4ABE-B7CB-ED5F9CD715A9.jpeg
I had no time, energy or funds to buy new work shoes and they would have been abused like these anyway. LOL.

But all the hard work in the garden was worth it. Since then, the Leica S has been a workhorse.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
2290353F-0CCB-4078-9FBC-61464C9AF295.jpeg

This year, we have had countless roses that we photographed for the sheer fun of it. Some have been posted on the MF forum. Others given to friends and family.

Still more, simply, were too similar to previous images so they were never processed.

It was a good year in Linda's Garden.

😇

jng

Cold Moon Rising
10-16-21_X1D_4556-sq_25-50-25-denoise-FrameShop_1.jpg
Hasselblad X1D | Zeiss 350/5.6 Tele-Superachromat + APO 1.4XE | f/11​

Tonight is the last full moon of the year - December's Cold Moon. I captured the moonrise just a few steps from my house using my "little" Hasselblad, as lugging the long lens + Cambo contraption down the block exceeded my energy level.

John

Last edited:

dave.gt

Cold Moon Rising
View attachment 190263
Hasselblad X1D | Zeiss 350/5.6 Tele-Superachromat + APO 1.4XE | f/11​

Tonight is the last full moon of the year - December's Cold Moon. I captured the moonrise just a few steps from my house using my "little" Hasselblad, as lugging the long lens + Cambo contraption down the block exceeded my energy level.

John
Oh, my… lovely image which brings emotions to mind. I love the simplicity of this. Thanks, John.:)

• Thanks
Reactions: jng

dave.gt

Almost a year into the pandemic, I was depressed and I felt hopeless. The sunrise at our lake gave me hope.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
F96478DD-C166-4538-AE29-0C0E1C48FC94.jpeg

OMG…more then a year later, the pandemic is actually going through a 4th wave, and 800,000 deaths in the US have numbed us. I have no recent image to follow through with my thoughts on this topic.

But a couple of months later like today, just before Christmas, the sky was on fire. I think it was a harbinger of hard times ahead.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
D488B00B-9755-411D-9DD5-7E75426AD52B.jpeg

Dave