The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Good Afternoon All,

As some of you might have noticed, I have barely gotten out of the house to take pictures (or anything else) for some months. There are no debilitating health issues in play, but depression, anxiety, and the problems that affect any unhappy household in the Age of Covid. As I was looking out the window at another crisp day during which I am doing nothing useful, I saw this overly familiar skyline in two ways that speak better than words.

Anxiety

Depression

Matt

Last edited:

jng

Good Afternoon All,

As some of you might have noticed, I have barely gotten out of the house to take pictures (or anything else) for some months. There are no debilitating health issues in play, but depression, anxiety, and the problems that affect any unhappy household in the Age of Covid. As I was looking out the window at another crisp day during which I am doing nothing useful, I saw this overly familiar skyline in two ways that speak better than words.

Anxiety

Depression

Matt
Thank you for sharing, Matt. In the second image my eye was drawn immediately to the light reflecting off the building in the center of the frame. A sign of hope in these dark times, perhaps?

Take good care...

John

MGrayson

Thank you for sharing, Matt. In the second image my eye was drawn immediately to the light reflecting off the building in the center of the frame. A sign of hope in these dark times, perhaps?

Take good care...

John
Thank you, John.

Light weighed down by darkness was the idea. Subtle, I know... :rolleyes:

dave.gt

Actually, for me, the darkness framed and drew attention to the light. One just needs to look closer and deeper rather than overall. Depression is such a liar and mine a paper tiger seems more than it really is. The trick is to recognize the light. You just did that. Embrace it!

I like to think of it as the light splitting the darkness and focus on THAT interpretation because it takes me farther. Then I smile!

There is always a crack in everything around us. Even depression. It only takes a little light to make all the difference. And I appreciate your sharing your thoughts. A good sign! Please know we love your posting images and we wait anxiously for even more. It’s good for the soul.:)

Last edited:

stngoldberg

Matt,
Photograph still life images
I use an elinchrom light set..you don’t have to leave the house..buy it used on eBay..cheap
Challenge your creativity
You will be surprised how the time becomes exciting
You can also be creative with the images in photoshop
Stanley

Makten

How about a bit of heresy? Dirt cheap, entry level lens with almost non existent coatings, for a too small format. What could possibly go wrong?

_DSF1273_2048.jpg

Well, apart from massive CA and fringing from hell, not much actually. The tiny Olympus OM 135/3.5 covers the GFX sensor pretty well, at least if you don't use IBIS. I think this was at f/8 and it's an uncropped JPG straight out of camera. I'd love to have something better at ~135-150 mm, but there is nothing that can compete with the OM when it comes to size. At closer range it's actually pretty good, with very nice bokeh too.

Edit: My bad, it's actually a tiny bit cropped at the bottom! For compositional reasons though.

gurtch

Here is the data, some how it got eliminated in my post. Sorry.
Dave
GFX 100S 32-64mm lens at 32mm, ISO 400, f16 1/220 sec.
Dave in NJ

Greg Haag

Revisiting my images from last March in Death Valley because I am heading back to this otherworldly landscape again in late January. I am thinking about spending a couple days in the eastern Sierra's while I am there and visiting the places listed below, I would love to see images from these areas if anyone has some to share!
ALABAMA HILLS
Near Lone Pine, CA

HOT CREEK GEOLOGICAL SITE
Near Mammoth Lakes, CA

OWENS RIVER
Near Big Pine, CA

IQ4 150 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 90mm 2 image pan
Death Valley Pano-7.jpg

MGrayson

Alas, this is the photographer speaking, not the person. And Damn, but that S 120/2.5 is some fine optics.

NOTE: This image is kind of boring by itself. It has to go with the earlier post showing Anxiety and Depression. It's much better in context!)

Hope

Matt

Last edited:

tsjanik

Revisiting my images from last March in Death Valley because I am heading back to this otherworldly landscape again in late January. I am thinking about spending a couple days in the eastern Sierra's while I am there and visiting the places listed below, I would love to see images from these areas if anyone has some to share!
ALABAMA HILLS
Near Lone Pine, CA

Here are a few taken around Lone Pine from 2018. A spectacular place and very easy to camp. It is very heavily visited and photographed and so it is hard to be very original. By way of illustration, I included my imitation of my favorite Ansel Adams print. Have fun. Tom (all with 645Z).

Attachments

Greg Haag

Here are a few taken around Lone Pine from 2018. A spectacular place and very easy to camp. It is very heavily visited and photographed and so it is hard to be very original. By way of illustration, I included my imitation of my favorite Ansel Adams print. Have fun. Tom (all with 645Z).
Beautiful images, thank you so much for sharing and for your insight! I have been trying to decide about sleeping accommodations in late January. I have considered taking my airstream, but did not know if I would run into issues with road conditions getting out there that time of year?

tsjanik

Others would know better than I, but I would expect Lone Pine and the Owens Vally to have good road conditions. Getting there from somewhere else is a different question.